Security guards are responsible for ensuring the safety and security of people and property. They have to uphold the law by controlling situations and preventing crime from happening. Also, guards play a vital role in safeguarding people, places, assets, and property against any possible threats/losses. If you want to become a security guard, then certain steps need to be taken into consideration while applying for this job. How can you obtain a security guard license in California?
Security Guard Duties & Responsibilities
Security guards are responsible for protecting people, assets, and property. They do this by patrolling a certain area to deter crime and monitor suspicious activity. Guards are also responsible for reporting crimes they witness or encounter while on the job.
Security guards often have other duties as well, such as:
- Monitor access control systems (e.g., card readers at doors)
- Respond to emergencies like fires or medical emergencies in addition to intervening in situations where violence may occur
- Provide crowd control and escort duties
- Maintain security at trade shows, concerts and sporting events Perform other tasks as needed
Weapons Permit for Security Guard in California (Armed Security Guard)
California requires armed security guards to obtain a weapons permit. This does not apply to unarmed security guards, but it does apply to those who carry and use firearms for their job. All weapons permits are issued by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) to armed security guards
To be eligible for a BSIS-issued weapon permit as an armed security guard, you must be at least 18 years old. You also cannot have any felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving a violent offense or sexual offense on your record in the last five years before applying security guard training certificate and permit.
Today, the need for security is rapidly increasing. As a result, many find this field a great opportunity to succeed. Therefore, if you are looking to be a security guard, there are certain steps you need to follow.
- Security guard training: This is the first step towards being a security guard. You must complete the security guard training course, which could be offered by local community colleges or trade schools. This course will help you understand how to handle different situations that may arise during your work and how to use force appropriately if necessary.
- Security guard training certificate: The next step after completing your training is obtaining a license from the state where you wish to work as a security guard. Each state has different requirements for issuing licenses; however, most states require candidates to pass background checks and physical examinations before issuing them with licenses since they will work around vulnerable people (elderly people, children, etc.).
- Security Guard Duties: As mentioned earlier, many duties come with this job title apart from just protecting clients’ property or businesses; some of these include making sure visitors enter through the front door instead of via back doors or windows which might have been left open without supervision by staff members; checking meter boxes for tampering or damage submitted by customers; asking vendors if they have any questions about their bills before leaving premises so repairs can be done if needed without delay; patrolling parking lots/garages looking out for vehicles left unlocked/unattended at times when all other vehicles had been parked overnight–
Minimum Qualifications to Become an Unarmed Security Guard in California
To become an unarmed security guard in California, you must meet the following minimum qualification requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- You must have a high school diploma or GED (General Educational Development) certificate. If you do not have either of these, you can still qualify if you have some college education and/or work experience in the field of security services.
- You cannot have any felony convictions on your record within the past five years. Additionally, if any part of your criminal record may interfere with fulfilling the duties of being a security officer or harm public trust in him/herself, he/she may not be eligible for this job position
As you can see to become an unarmed security guard, the requirements are still strict and rigorous.
How to become a Mobile Patrol Security Guard in California
Mobile patrol security guards, also known as mobile patrol officers, patrol an area and protect it against crime. The job of a mobile patrol security guard is to check various premises and make sure that they are secure. One example of such a job would be checking whether or not a business has locked its doors at night. Mobile patrols can be conducted at any time during the day or night in both urban areas and rural ones.
Mobile Patrol Security duties will include patrolling parking lots, businesses close to residential neighborhoods, residential housing developments, and apartment complexes. Some mobile guards may be asked to attend community functions such as block parties or children’s events at schools so that they can interact with residents and provide them with information about what services are offered by the company they work for (such as where fire extinguishers are located).
Training for Security Guards in California
To obtain a security guard license in California, you must complete the training program that an approved security guard school provides. The training for the security guard program consists of a minimum of 30 hours and takes place over one week. The course will cover topics such as:
- Arrest Techniques
- Conducting Pat Downs and Searches
- Crowd Control Techniques
- Emergency Response and First Aid
Firearms Safety and Use Searching Suspects for Weapons and Evidence Security Guard Duties
If you are interested in becoming a security guard, then certain steps need to be taken to succeed. After completing these steps, you will be able to get a license and be hired by an employer who needs your services as soon as possible.